If you’re new here, my little guy, Maxwell, just turned one. I thought about putting no gifts please (or your presence is the only present needed) on his party invite, and then I googled it, and wow. What a debate people make of that. And then I decided, heck I’m throwing a birthday party, this kiddo might as well get a few gifts! And honestly, he really doesn’t have very many toys. We have seriously not bought him a single toy. He has a few toys from friends and family, but he mostly plays with empty water bottles and mixing bowls filled with ice and measuring cups and what have you. He does have books (thanks to this baby shower) and a sandbox!
After a recent conversation on C.R.A.F.T. facebook about this email a parent wrote dictating exactly what items (with links) to buy (and not to buy) for a one year old, I thought I’d make a list of fun things most parents would be ok with their one year old getting as a gift. Now you can write a (crazy) email and just add a link to this blog post 🙂
(Psst… there are Amazon affiliate links in here!)
1. Shape O Ball: It’s educational and fun! Added bonus: I love that this toy stores all of it’s own pieces. It’s so fun to watch him get better and better at this every day. He can put most of the shapes in the holes all by himself now!
2. Money for 529 Savings Plan: Because college is expensive, and there is no better time to save then now.
3. Pop Up Toy: This thing is so cute I gave it a permeant place on our coffee table! Oh and Maxwell loves to just carry the little people around with him. It’s also educational!
4. Personalized Memory Game: My sister made him a memory game with all of our family members! He doesn’t exactly get the game yet, but I have a feeling he will be a pro in few short months! And he does have fun flipping and looking at the pictures now.
5. Money for swim/ music/ gym classes: I’m all about experience gifts! (Remember what I got Andy for Christmas?) And kid classes can be expensive, so this is a fun gift for a few people to give baby (and mama)!
6. Board Books: Maxwell loves any and every board book. And I love that he loves books. He got a few really fun ones for his birthday including Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type, B is for Breakdancing Bear, and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I’m a huge fan of the doodles and art in the BabyLit Books and any book by Nancy Tillman is adorable. Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You might be my favorite, but On the Night You Were Born is pretty dang good too. Oh and Grandma got him a few of these fun, paper feeling, but can’t be ripped and are machine washable books for Christmas. They are called Indestructibles, and I highly recommend them!
7. Treats for parents: After all, it is your one year anniversary of parenthood, and everyone is still alive! Wine, champagne, chocolate, babysitting vouchers, and restaurant gift card are all fun ideas to bring to a one year old party!
8. Personalized Book: A board book all about Maxwell and his birthday! The story rhymes and the illustrations are cute and simple. Maxwell has the Birthday book, but this company has about 10 different board books to choose from. And even more options for storybooks.
9. Surprise! What’s Inside Toy Box: He loves this little box of goodies. It’s so cute to watch him dig in the box and pull one out! I also like that this toy stores all of it’s pieces inside.
10. Silver dollar from the year he was born: A fun piece of memorabilia that will (fingers crossed) be worth a lot more when the little guy is older!
11. Activity Cube: This cube keeps him busy, and it looks so much nicer than it’s plastic counterparts. I also like that it’s not too heavy or awkward shaped for me to pick up and move it to the kitchen in the evening.
12. Pajamas: Maxwell wears pajamas every night and grows like a weed. Thus, we use a lot of pajamas. Plus, have you seen a baby in pajamas? Cutest thing ever!
14. Outside Toys: Balls, buckets, and this fun old school popper toy are great toys that you can keep outside and enjoy in the sunshine!
15. Ybike: This toy pulls double duty! Younger kids can walk with it and once their little toes can touch the ground they can ride it. Max uses it outside a lot too.
What do you think? Did I miss any thing really awesome? I’d love to hear… And just for fun, here is what a baby really wants for their birthday, ha!