Happy day after turkey day, friends! To some that means, happy black Friday and shop til’ you drop! I’m seriously sacred of all big box stores on Black Friday. And if you’re reading this post today, I bet you’re on my team too! Go us! Shopping from the computer and stuffing our faces with turkey and pie leftovers all while hanging out with the fam, yum!
Today I’m sharing my thoughts on the greatest question in craft machine cutting history: Should I buy a Cricut Explore or a Silhouette Cameo? Let me start with, I have nothing bad to say about the Silhouette, it is just that the Cricut Explore is easier to use and cuts more materials better. I totally switched to team Cricut after attending the Cricut Explore launch and learning the ins and outs of the machine. Oh and this little report from an independent company even declares the Cricut Explore the winner when solely looking at how well the machines actually cut! (Psst… there are affiliate links in this post.)
I give you the top 11 reasons I’d tell my mom to buy the Cricut over the Silhouette any day:
1. Smart Dial setting. Just turn the dial to the type of material you are cutting and cut! Easy. Turn the dial to card stock or vinyl or iron on. Bam. Done. Those are the 3 I use the most. There is also a custom option on the dial to cut tons more materials.
2. Cricut Explore comes with a carrying case. This may seem silly, but my machine goes places! And the Silhouette Cameo carrying case is an extra $80 bucks. Yikes.
3. You can use any font ever for free. If the font is on your computer, you can cut it on the Cricut Explore. Holla.
4. It’s compatible with cartridges, but cartridges are not necessary. That’s right you can download all of you old Cricut cartridges to your machine and never have to use another cartridge again. Pack those bad boys up and put them away.
5. The Cricut Explore is quiet. Like the baby can sleep in his swing next to me while I cut. True.
6. User friendly design interface. The software is simple and intuitive.
7. Storage. The Cricut Explore has 3 handy dandy built in storage compartments for your all of your tools. One of them is a magnet for your blades! I’m messy, I need this.
8. You can upload and cut your own images for free: You can upload jpgs, svgs, pngs fo’ free. With the Silhouette, you have to upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition for an extra $50 to have the ability to import svg files directly. (I do this all of the time!)
9. Make it now projects: I like simple, remember? And the Make it Now projects are about as easy as it gets! Want to make a cute vase of felt flowers, Bam! No need to reinvent the wheel.
10. Cricut Explore has an awesome new iPad App that will be available in January 2015: What does this mean for you? All of your projects that you design on the app will be saved up to the cloud and available for you to access through the online software as well. AND all of the Make It Now porjects will be avaibnle in the app too. So, if you have a Cricut Explore® Machine + Premium Bluetooth Set you can cut wirelessly from the app on your iPad!
11. Cricut Explore cuts Duck Tape, remember my Halloween costume and no carve pumpkins! And bazillions of other materials including balsa wood, cork board, tissue paper, notebook paper, leather, felt, and craft foam, see the full list here.
And now for the AWESOME DEAL! I’m going to try and make this as simple as possible, so here is the deal: You can choose between 2 Cricut packages both packages are only $214.99 (after promo codes are applied)! (Just so you know, the only place that is offering a better deal is WalMart and Amazon, and both places have very limited quantities and it is not the exact same package. Not to mention, WalMart is kind of dangerous on Black Friday, ha!)
Here is what you get with package #1: BUY IT HERE
Here is what you get with package #2: BUY IT HERE
Whichever package you decide to buy, use these promo codes:
CRICUTBF5 (This gets you $5 off any order from HERE over $50!)
EXPLOREBFBLOG ($10 off either of the above packages!)
FREESHIPNOV (Free Shipping!)