Let me introduce myself. My name is Traci a.k.a. The Woman Who Couldn’t Sit Still. Yep, I am one of those with Can’t-sit-still-itis with a hint of fabric addiction. I am sure at least a couple of you can relate. I am a wife and mom of a little guy. I blog about my crafts, sewing projects, recipes I love, and whatever it is that is keeping me busy. Here’s my latest creation and obsession, Placemat Purses. It just takes basic sewing. If you can sew straight, you can make it! And if you don’t want to make your own, check out my Etsy shop, Lalabua Baby.
1. Cut your 2 place mats so they are both the same size (Mine were a little wonky). Cut the bottom corners so they are rounded..
3. If you want ruffles or some other decoration on you bag, now is the time to add it to one of the place mats. Now, make and attach your handles. (Or just attach premade ones). My straps were just made from a long skinny piece of fabric folded over and sewn. I sewed them on to the top of the bag, close to the edge, just to keep them in place.
5. Turn right side out. Here is where it starts to look good!
7. Now is where pictures help. Put your place mat bag inside what you just sewed.The handles will be between the layers.
8. Sew the two “bags” together at the top edge. For me, it helps to pin.
(Here, it’s at the top where the pink/red is. I added pockets to my bag.)