Note: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Commando Dad.
Transitioning to parenthood is crazy town for Mom AND Dad! There are lots of books out there for Mom, but I haven’t seen much (or anything) written specifically for Dad. Commando Dad is a basic training manual for the first 3 years of parenthood, written in simple, precise language that is perfect for Dad. It’s straight to the point with tables and lists galore. No fluff and very well organized. It’s Andy approved, y’all! Andy and I both read this book and I’m sharing 8 tips that Andy (and me!) learned from this book! Max learned a few things too…
8 tips for new dads, via Commando Dad and Andy approved! Oh and Commando Dad refers to a BT (Baby Trooper) and a MT (Mobile Trooper).
1. Make your base camp safe: Check batteries in smoke detectors, anti slip pads under rugs, etc… These are things you don’t really think about, but it’s nice to not have to worry about slipping on a rug while making your way to the nursery at 3am. (Lots more tips on preparing base camp on p.26)
2. Dishwashers wash bottles, but do not sterilize them: Water needs to be boiling to actually sterilize bottles. There are 4 golden rules to sterilizing on p. 38!
3. Breast milk in the fridge may separate: It looks a little weird, but just shake the bottle gently and voila! It’s back to normal. Andy was weirded out by this at first! Lots of deets about making a bottle of breast milk and/ or formula on p. 39
4. Earplugs: Babies cry. A lot. I love the Commando Dad Top Tip to invest in a set of earplugs. Use them to reduce the volume and pitch when dealing with a crying BT. Staying calm while dealing with a crying baby is vital! (p. 47)
5. Don’t be scared to take the BT out and about: Fresh air is good for your BT! (p. 50)
6. Wait on sleep routine until 8ish weeks: Before then, do your best to teach your BT the difference between night and day. Make sure the house is bright during the day, and don’t use the big light at night. (There is a step by step plan on p.54)
Max found this next little tid bit very interesting…
7. Clean your BT’s gums: Wipe gums with a damp, soft cloth. This will help pave the way for a later brushing routine. Lots more about establishing routines in chapter 6.
8. Freeze washcloths: The perfect thing for your BT to chew on between meals because they are softer than teething rings and easier to hold! (Lots more about teething on p. 79)
Did you know you were supposed to brush your baby’s gums? I did not. Commando Dad is a super easy read and makes a great gift for any new dad! Heck, I learned a lot too! You can buy the book here. OR you can win a copy today!
To enter to win one copy of Commando Dad:
- Just comment on this post and leave one survival tip for new dads.
- The giveaway is open from Monday, May 26 to Friday, June 6 at noon.
- Giveaway participants must be 18 years or older and reside in the US.