The kiddos are about to go trick or treating and bring home, excuse my french, butt loads, of candy. What do you do with all of that candy? I remember the insane amounts of candy my brothers and sisters and I used to bring home when we were little kids. There is no way any family should eat 26 pounds of candy! I’ve rounded up 44 candy recipes and crafts that anyone can make with the Halloween candy surplus! Plus a few other fun things to do with leftover Halloween candy like send it to our troops, save it for ginger bread house making, or make business cards with it!
What to do with leftover Halloween candy?
Here are 17 ways to use extra Halloween candy to craft or in recipes.
1. Starburst wrapper bracelet
3. Save it for decorating ginger bread houses
4. Make a Thanksgiving advent calendar
5. Make candy trains as neighbor gifts for December 1st
7. Make a candy card and send to Grandparents
8. Freeze it
You can add a few pieces of candy to milkshakes, ice cream, or cookies throughout the year!
If you have the kids home for virtual school this one is perfect. Hypothesize which candies will sink and which ones will float and then test out the hypothesis!
10. Rice Krispie turkey treats
Use your leftover Halloween candy to decorate Rice Krispie treat turkeys for Thanksgiving! Twix or Reeses Peanut Butter cups make great basses for the turkey heads and a Twizzler cut into a few small pieces are perfect for the wattle.
11. Oreo turkeys
13. Candy bar S’mores
Save some candy bars for S’mores all winter long. I’d recommend Reeses Peanut Butter Cups!
15. Decorate a cake
Or cupcakes! Donate your homemade treat to a nursing home, police station, or fire station.
16. Make candy sushi
Recipes that include candy
19. Trail Mix
20. Candy bar pie
21. Make mud pies
22. Applesauce with red hot candies
26. Deep fry a Snickers bar, because you can.
29. Skittles vodka
12 other interesting ways to downsize your Halloween candy stash
30. Sell you candy to your dentist! Most dentist pay $1 per pound of candy that you bring in. If you live in the Austin area, here is a great resource of dentists who participate!
31. Send it to Operation Gratitude… This candy will get sent to our troops in care packages! How awesome is that?!
32. Add a chocolate (or 3) to your morning cup of jo!
33. Send some snail mail packages to college age kids in your family!
34. Send candy to Operation Shoebox. They also send care packages to our troops!
35. Use candy as BINGO pieces!
36. Donate your wrapped Halloween candy to The Ronald McDonald House!
37. Use candy to teach little ones estimation, patterns, sorting, graphing, or word problems!
38. Host a candy eating contest!