If you’re looking for fun, free family friendly things to do in NYC, this list has you covered from playgrounds to shows to ferry rides! I’ve got another list of not free things to do in NYC if you want to check that one out too.
25 Free things to do in NYC with Kids
1. Love sculpture
2. Cross the Brooklyn Bridge
3. Staten Island Ferry
4. Visit Hello Deli
5. See a live show
How to get tickets to live shows:
6. Visit Roosevelt Island
7. World Trade Center Memorial
8. Kayak the Hudson
9. Stroll 5th Avenue
11. Rent bikes
14. Chelsea Market
The Chelsea Market is located below the High Line at 15th Street. This is an always changing venue complete with restaurants, bakeries, markets, artists, and a flea market. Grab the kids lunch and a cupcake, while you browse the cuteness. It is open Monday – Saturday from 7am to 9pm and Sundays from 8am to 7pm.
Free Things to do in Central Park
16. Free Shakespeare in the Park
17. Explore 21 Playgrounds
Did you know Central Park is home to 21 playgrounds? Many of the playgrounds were built in the1930’s to encourage families to utilize the park! A few of our favorites:
- Heckscher Playground: Oringially built in 1926, and rebuilt in 2016, Heckscher is crowded, but fun! Me and my kids love climbing Umpire Rock!
- Safari Playground or “Hippo playground”: There is an awesome splash pad and hippos, of course!
- Tarr- Coyne Tots Playground: This is the best Central Park playground for the 4 and under crowd.
Free Museum entry days in Manhattan
Free admission for all NYC residents on the first Friday of the month from 4 pm to 8 pm. Children 16 and under are always free. Get there early, the line can wrap around the block! This is my favorite museum in NYC. The address is:11 West 53 Street. Call 212-708-9400 for more information.
Free Things to do in Brooklyn & Bronx
22. Prospect Park
23. Bronx Zoo
- The USO often times gives away free Broadway tickets
- The Navy Lodge on Staten Island is great and well under $100/a night for the entire family