I love NYC! I lived in Manhattan teaching gymnastics and waiting tables after college, and am super lucky to be able to visit my BFF in Manhattan often! Here are 29 of Andy and I’s favorite free things to do in the New York City. I just took my first trip to New York City with my 5 month old son, Maxwell, and discovered lots of fun things to do in New York City with kids! The following are free, baby/ stroller friendly activities for baby and mama to do together in Tribeca and SoHo. Maxwell loves the noises and action of the Manhattan sidewalks, so even just walking the streets was fun for us!
1. Free (off the menu) cupcake of the day at Georgetown Cupcakes: You have to follow them on twitter, and they announce the cupcake flavor of the day. Just walk in and ask for the cupcake by name! (They only give out 100, so come early!) Another fun activity, go on a lower Manhattan cupcake hunt in search of the yummiest cupcake… this is not free or fat free, ha!
2. Samples at Farmer’s Market all over the city: Check this website for specific days and times of the market closet to you. But, we stopped by the Wednesday Tribeca market and sampled different varieties of peaches and apples, yum!
3. Watch the dogs in the window at Biscuits and Bath: This is 5 minute-ish activity that all kids love! It’s right down the street from Whole Foods, which is next on the list!
4. Grab breakfast at Whole Foods and eat it on a bench in a park like a real New Yorker. Breakfast is cheaper, 6.99 per lb and there is no one in the store! There are lots of yummy breakfast options. The morning we went, there was french toast, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal, and quinoa porridge!
5. Story time at a New York City public library: Here’s a list of the 40+ NYC public libraries in Manhattan! Most offer free story time for kiddos at least once a week!
6. Hudson river park grassy area and sculptures: This is a great place for your breakfast or a picnic lunch! There are views of the statue of liberty and New Jersey skyline. Plus I love all of the tiny statues and
The next 3 things are all on Pier 25, also called Lower Manhattans Back Yard!
7. Pier 25: Lots of fun free stuff: Watch the skaters and the skate park, the views of New Jersey, or play on the awesome play area with 8 water features, a sand box, swing sets, and even a climbing wall! There’s also an 18 hole mini golf course that only costs $4 per kiddo!
8. Art Shack at Pier 25: It’s from 12-6 on Saturday and Sundays assuming the weather is nice!
9. Youth volleyball at Pier 25: On Friday nights, 6th through 12th graders can play volleyball fo’ free! There is a registration form you have to fill out.
Note: There is a snack bar on Pier 25 with lots of yummy options, and it only takes cash! Plan accordingly.
10. Free kayaking on Pier 26: Every Saturday, Sundat, and holidays from 9am-6pm. And on weekday evening in July and August from 5-7pm.
Have you ever been to New York City with kids? Do you have any other things to add to the list? I’d love to hear…