If you’re looking to add a little whimsy to the Christmas tree this year- think gnomes! These gnome ornaments are made with a cork, felt scraps, and a little fake fur. Best part? No sewing! Just plug in that hot glue gun, gather your supplies and you’ll have a Chrsitmas tree full of gnomes before you know it. They also make great gifts!
Here’s what you need t0 make gnome ornaments
- Champagne cork (Wine cork would work too.)
- Felt scrap
- Red bead
- White fake fur
- Hot glue gun
- Yarn or fishing line
- Black permeant maker
How to make gnome ornaments
These wine cork ornaments are the perfect way to up-cycle corks from the first 11 months of the year!
Step 1- Cut felt, fur, and string
To make the gnome hat, cut a small scrap peice of felt into a cone shape, as seen below. Next, cut a peice of yarn or string about 6 inches. Lastly, cut the white fake fur into a rectangle that fits around the bottom of the cork.
Step 2- Hot glue
Plug that hot glue gun and heat her up, it’s time to make this cork gnome come to life! First, use a small dab of hot glue to secure the fishing line to the tip of the felt cone shaped peice. This is how the gnome will hang from the Christmas tree. Then roll the felt peice into a 3d cone and add a small amount of hot glue to secure the hat. Next, add a strip of hot glue to the middle of the cork and add the fake fur to create a beard. Last but not least, add the red nose with a small dab of hot glue.
Step 3- Eyes
Once everything is hot glued together, the last step is to give the gnome eyes! This is the easiest part, all you need is a black permanent marker and a steady hand. Simply, make 2 small black dots on either side of the red nose. Easy peasy!
Step 4- Admire
Hang the sweet little gnomes on the tree and pat yourself on the back! How cute are these gnome ornaments?
5 wine cork ornaments
Don’t stop the DIY ornament making fun with gnomes! Keep that hot glue gun heated up, and use the rest of the wine corks to make these DIY ornaments.
- Wine cork wreath- Lynsey glued 12 wine corks in a circle to make this fun DIY ornament. Find the complete tutorial at Moscato Mom.
- Wine cork angel- Debbie turned a single wine work and a wooden sphere into an adorable angel. Detailed tutorial at One Little Project.
- Wine cork snowman- Jaclyn turned a wine cork into a tiny snowman complete with ear muffs. Complete tutorial found at Crayons & Cravings.
- Wine cork snowflake- Paula turned 9 corks into gorgeous snowflakes. They’d be perfect next to the tiny cork snowmen. Detailed tutorial at Sweet Pea.
- Wine cork gnome- All you need is a cork, felt scrap, fake fur, and a red bead for this DIY ornament. Tutorial above!
Have you ever made gnome ornaments? Wine cork ornaments? I’d love to hear…