I’ve been making lists, checking them twice, and scratching things off like a mad women. (Andy doesn’t call me Luna (short for lunatic, sweet hubby I got!) for nothing.
- Kitchen to do list
- Master bathroom to-do list
- Bedroom to do list
- Balcony to do list
The rug is too small. Don’t you think?
It’s not awful in here, it’s clean and simple. I just feel like it’s a hodge podge of old stuff… Well, I don’t feel like that… I know that! I’m waiting for that inspiration piece to fall into my lap and have the whole room come together! By fall, I mean find at Good Will for $20 bucks! Wouldn’t that be nice : )
I have a saving up (it will happen one day) to do list and I have a for real (oh yea we’re poor) to-do list, ha!
- a new 8×10 (or bigger) rug… the 5×7 thing is not doing it for us anymore. That’s expensive and a big item commitment purchase… Those always scare me. I can’t just paint over, sand it, or recover it! It’s also hard in a rental because the rug I’d buy for plain white walls is drastically different than the rug I would buy if and when I can paint those suckers.
- a new couch… our cozy couch wouldn’t fit in the elevator and had to be put in a consignment store…Boo! We are now using the fancy futon from the Austin, TX guest bedroom as our everyday couch. It’s handy for overnight guests, but the no arm thing is getting old for watching DVR’d Parks and Rec, 60 minutes, and Seinfeld re runs, every night!
I like this one, it’s more neutral, less expensive… but, do I love it? I don’t know. It is also the kind that needs a rug mat. I’ve never had a rug like that… good? bad? It’s $299 from Crate and Barrel. The couch is dark grey and I could throw some bright, funky pillow all over it. Hmm…
I love this this one is hand tufted, but I’m not sure about the blue grey color with my couch. I wish it was the opposite combination… you know more white than blue/grey. It’s $397.00 +$2.95 shipping from overstock. Great price for an 8×10 rug. Not to mention 85 reviews with a 4.5 star average. Look how nice it looks in this room with a white couch.This rug might be winning…
- lamp shade redo… My mom got me the gorgeous lamp for my b-day last year, but we never loved the shade. I’m just trying to decide on a rug and couch.
- Recover the blogging chair. It’s old and super crusty. Andy got it for free from a neighbor.
- TV piece of furniture… the dresser makes the TV way to high. I feel like we can find something cheap and give it a makeover. I’m on the look out.
- Recover the pillows on the couch to brighten it up and go with the NEW rug 🙂
- Continue adding to my wall of frames. I want the floor to ceiling look (see more here). It takes time to find cheap frames!
- Fix the black bar things Andy got for free. The magnetic doors are broken. It’s fairly annoying.
- Paint those 2 chairs next to the bar. Maybe a little dipped feet look 🙂
- Recover the dinning room chairs. Really, I want a new dining room top. I love the bottom, but glass is super not functional. It is always. dirty. Always. It’s yucky. I like the chairs, and I LOVED the fabric, but it’s time for an update.
Comments & Reviews
Maury @ Life on mars says
It’s looking so good! I love the gallery wall and your desk.
Tanya H. says
I think it looks great!
I have that SAME GREEN RUG from Pottery Barn in my living room. I got it on clearance there a few years ago when we moved into my house. I also want to replace it with something bigger. I also don’t like a lot of my options out there $ wise. I think I’ve been waiting for at least a year for some magical cheap yet stylish large rug fairy to come my way with a new one for me. It has yet to happen. I’ll keep you posted if I find something I’m in love with that doesn’t break the bank 😉
Jamie D. says
I got mine at the PB outlet a few years ago! Crossing my fingers the rug fairy appears for us both!!!
Marsha Boes says
Did you know that Lowe’s has large rugs – maybe 8×10. Fairly reasonable, too. What about the non-skid stuff that Dollar Tree carries. Maybe some in each corner????
I’m on the lookout for a new rug too!! West Elm has them 15% off this week, which is sooo tempting, but they’re still expensive. It is kind of hard to order a rug online, not having ever seen it in person. My living room is okay, but there are still things I would like to do, like add faux built-ins (IKEA Billy bookcases, trimmed out with crown and base molding), makeover my coffee table, and paint. One day…
ok you are at the same place I am!! I feel like my house is a collection of leftover/free/given to us/old stuff and it all needs a facelift! I mean I feel like some pieces like that are ok but I need some new stuff. My problem is I have a one and a two year old (boys) and then I have two small dogs who tee tee on rugs and throw pillows :/ I have no hope!
Also, just throwing this out there… what if you stray painted all of the frames on your big white wall the same color? LIke all grass green or a tangerine? Or something right, then you could tie in a colorful rug in the same color pallete?
Jamie D. says
Spray painting the frames is a great idea! I guess I’m waiting for the perfect rug to find me 🙂
If you aren’t married to a plush rug, you could turn a piece of fabric into a floor mat with a few coats of acrylic sealer. This one looks like the chevron rug, is 54″ wide and only $7.48 per yard:
Love the progress! I’m not in a new place, but I’m in the midst of destroying my craft room and bringing it back to life! My Sister-in-Law bought a huge rug on Overstock.com that’s pretty cool! They have 8×10 Chevron rugs right now for $126…not too bad! Not the gold, but some others! Anyhoo, thought I’d share!
Serena @ Thrift Diving says
Hi, there! Just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to leave a comment. I LOVE how much sunlight you get in your living room! My house is dark and dreary during the spring/summer because all the yucky trees nearby. LOL. Anyhow, it was nice seeing the transformation of your living room! And I think you just inspired me to get rid of some of my blank walls with a nice collage of pics! 🙂 If you’re free, stop on over to my blog to say hi! 🙂 Love to have you!
Jamie D. says
I totally understand the love/ hate with big trees. Our old house had that same issue…I love big trees, but don’t love that they block the light!