Who doesn’t enjoy receiving money as a gift, but handing someone a card with a $20 dollar bill inside seems so well… boring. Not to mention, it’s way more fun to watch someone unwrap a real gift. With a little extra effort and a dose of creativity you can make giving cash fun again! Here are 23 creative ways to give cash as a gift for any occasion. Many of these ideas can double as creative ways to give gift cards too!
23 Creative Ways to Give Cash
1. This creative cash giving method involves a wrapped gift and balloon popping, how much more fun does it get? See all of the details on giving cash in balloons at C.R.A.F.T.
2. This cash giving method isn’t for everyone, but my brothers sure loved it! Bonus: it’s so easy to put together! Add a twenty to the center of a toilet paper roll with a note that reads “Just in case you get crap for graduation, use this!”
3. And some extra “Dough” to a container of Play Doh for a gift that is sure to be enjoyed! Check out this post on C.R.A.f.T. for more details on how to give cash in Play-Doh.
4. Cash and candy? Yes, please! Check out C.R.A.F.T. for more details about giving cash in a Pez Dispenser.
5. For a creative way to give a gift card consider hiding it in a mason jar of red Jolly Ranchers. Simply fill a mason jar with candy and hide the gift card inside. Add a sweet handmade tag that says, Wishing you a holly jolly Christmas!
6. Here’s another creative, not as simple way to idea to hide a gift card. Embroider a canvas with a silly message and attach the gift card to the back side. For all of the details about how to embroider a canvas post.
7. As long as you have access to a printer, here is a super cute money gift box! You can stuff Santa’s belly with money or a gift card. Download and print the free printable pillow box here.
8. I want to be there when little Johnny opens this box of chocolate! See all of the details on Life as a mom.
9. How fun is this idea to give origami money! See how to make an origami heart at Homemade gifts.
11. I love the idea of sewing a reusable gift card holder from an old shirt! Find the details for this creative way to wrap a gift card at It’s Toile Good.
12. Canned Money @ What I live For
13. Who doesn’t want a money tree? Find the complete tutorial over at Then She Made.
14. A money lei might be the most creative way I’ve seen to gift money! Hop on over to Lil Luna for a detailed tutorial.
15. Scavenger hunts make any present or gift card way more fun to give and receive. I’ve created clue game scavenger hunts for kids and adults. For really young kids, I always make clues with pictures and for adults I make up silly rhymes. Here’s way to much information about preparing scavenger hunt clue games on C.R.A.F.T. (Here’s another post about scavenger hunt games for any age!)
16. My brother invented what we call the “money lottery” method. He puts various amounts of cash in envelopes, fans them out and allows us each to pick one envelope. Typically this happens on Christmas afternoon. One year the big prize was $100! I must say it is pretty exciting, and my siblings and I look forward to it each year
17. This gingerbread “dough” and poem are such a clever way to give cash. The poem reads:
Gingerbread man with yummy icing
are oh so good and extremely enticing.
I set out to make a dozen or two,
but ran out of time. Oh what do I do?
So instead of the cookies I tied a bow.
It’s your own personal serving of holiday dough!
For more details check out Heart and soul scrappers.
18. Book Money: Hide a crisp $20 bill in a good book. Freakanomics, C.R.A.F.T., or Guns, Germs, and Steel are a few good options. A cook book or an adult coloring book could be perfect for the right person too! The hard part is not telling the recipient. Just let the recipient find the hidden treasure as they flip through the book. I promise they will be excited…it is like finding hidden money in your winter coat pocket!
19. Turn an empty Kleenex box into a money box and attach a note that reads, “Don’t blow it all in one place!” Thanks for the genius idea Lovezilla.
21. Here’s a funny way to wrap a gift card or cash, frame it in glass with an insert that says, “In an emergency break glass!” Image found via Create my Event.
22. Who doesn’t love raining money? Whip up this clever way to give cash with a tutorial from The Seasonal Home.
23. Pizza box
With Christmas just around the corner, and lots of hard to shop for folks on my list, this is handy post! Do you have any other ideas about how to give cash creatively? I’d love to hear…