Happy 6 months here on Earth sweet baby Maxwell! (I seriously can not believe that we went through this 6 moths ago!) I feel so lucky to be your mama! 3-23-14 is forever a very special day in our lives…. we became parents to the most perfect baby for us! In honor of your 1/2 a year with us, Dad and I are going to feed you lots of milk, take you on multiple stroller rides, lay on the hammock with you and let you feel and touch the grass for as along as you want. Oh and of course watch you crawl around and help you pull up on everything in sight! (It will be very different from what we do everyday, ha!)
Side note: The two pictures below were taken by Laura, an awesome Austin lifestyle photographer. See more fun pictures from the shoot and an interview with yours truly, right here!
Another side note: I’ll be sharing how I made my chalkboard calendar wall sometime soon-ish! (Update: Chalkboard wall tutorial!)
After 6 months with my sweet little nugget, I put together a list of things I know you need for baby! Things not to forget about on your baby shower checklist! These might not be the most exciting baby gifts, but they are things that you will use all. of. the. time. with baby! I personally have and use most of these specific items, and they are all things that can easily be overlooked on a baby registry. (I’ve included some affiliate links to specific products I use on Amazon!)
Another fun thing: You can win five of these items today on instagram!
1. Sound machine: We use the ocean sound like it is nobodies business. Since it is only the 3 of us, I like that he has learned to fall asleep with noise in the background.
2. Swaddle blankets: Essential for when baby is little, and these Aden and Anis ones are perfect for the hot Texas weather. Although we don’t swaddle anymore, we still use these as a light blanket in the crib or car. They are also great to travel with beacuse they are so thin and small.
3. Diapers and wipes: Register for these in all sizes, y’all! These giraffe diapers are extra cute and would make giving diapers even cuter!
4. Bottle brush: Another essential item. I love this one because it stands up! Go ahead and register for 2 of these bad boys!
5. Mirror for car seat: One of my favorite things! I did no register for one, and ended up buying it when Maxwell was about 2 weeks old.
6. Crib waterproof matress pad: Gotta protect that expensive crib matress!
7. Travel changing station: We use this one all. the. time. Airports, public bathroom changing tables, picnic tables, back seat of the car. But, this one folds up and really doesn’t take up much room at all.
8. Infant toys: Maxwell had no toys for the first 2 months of life. I know, what a horrible mom! I just didn’t even think about it! I love this inch warm because each one of it’s parts has a different texture and sound, it’s so cute, colorful, and Maxwell loves it! Oh and don’t forget about Sophie the Giraffe! Something about those skinny legs that baby can grip on to makes this toy the best thing ever.
9. Baby nail clippers: I’ve heard great things about cotton mits too, we just never actually used them!
10. Detect alcohol in breast milk strips: Because you might want a drink or 2! These things will let you know if you need to pump and dump or if your breast milk is A-ok. They are very simple to use and you can tell in 2 minutes if your milk is good or bad.
11. Breastmilk cooler: Wether your breastfeeding, pumping, or using formula… you need one of these!
12. I know I said 11, but here’s a 12th that you can make for free! And if you plan on pumping at all, you NEED this hands free pumping bra. This DIY one works way better than store bought.
Mama’s, anything else I forgot? What items did you forget to add to your registry?
More baby tips:
Comments & Reviews
Great list! #10 is totally unnecessary, though. Current research shows that there is not a need to pump and dump if you drink alcohol, and most experts agree you don’t even have to delay breastfeeding, though you can. The company that makes those strips is a company that exists to make money off of unsuspecting mommies who are trying to do their best – what a shameful practice!
Here are some resources. Cheers! 🙂
I agree with Laura. #10 is misinfornation and shouldn’t continue to spread to moms who don’t know better!
Great list. Super cute photo of the family! I would add a baby carrier to your list. Like a Bjorn or other brand. My 4 kids LIVED in my baby carrier. I did housework and went shopping, all with them on my front. When they got a little older, my husband took over and carried them when ever we went anywhere. We refer to our carrier as “The Daddy Pack”. My husband loves to carry them with no hands, and I don’t even think they remember me carrying them because he does it so often. 🙂
capturing joy with kristen duke says
they didn’t have cute giraffe diapers when MY kids were little! Man, I feel like a grandma all of a sudden! Cute pic of you and the fam being playful!
Great list! FYI, my pump came with a cooler. Also my health insurance completely paid for the pump and it was delivered to my house the day after I got home for the hospital. I just wanted to share so that maybe other people could check with their insurance. I don’t think I would have known if not for other co-workers who had babies before me that got free pumps.