No, we’re not moving… yet! We’re always up for an adventure, and toss the idea around of moving some where awesome with our kids for a year sabbatical one day. But before kids, we moved between 3 states (Texas, New York, Florida) and another country (China) in 6 years! We’re pretty familiar with the moving game. The 2 moves right after college were the super easy kind were you just pack up 2 suitcases with clothes and your lap top and get on a plane. I moved in with a friend in New York City who already had all of the house necessities. Andy moved to Beijing, China to a furnished apartment. Keyword furnished apartment! That’s what we should have done with our time in Florida since we knew we would not live in Florida forever. Not lugging your couches, tables, and chairs would make moving way less stressful. To just pack up your kitchen and closets and go…glorious! This is not a dream, you can do this!
1. Free Boxes:
- Craiglist.com: Choose your city and click on the free section. After people move, they have no use for their boxes and are typically happy to have someone come take them all away!
- Truck Rental Stores: Our local Uhaul stores have a free box and packing supply section in the store. Just walk in and take what you need.
- Liquor Stores: Liquor stores have tons of small to medium boxes that they are happy to give away. These are great because they come with cardboard dividers that are perfect for wrapping vases, glasses, and wine glasses.
- Your Job: Paper boxes are awesome boxes for moving since they have built in handles and are super sturdy.
- Free Cycle: Similar to Craigslist, but everything is free! Just search boxes in your zip code.
- Book Stores: They also have lots of sturdy boxes!
2. Free Packing Materials
- Use What You’ve Got: Use dish towels, beach towels, rags, pillows, place mats, blankets, coats, and sweaters to wrap breakables or to use as filler in boxes.
- Newspaper: Use newspaper to wrap breakables.
- Brown Paper Bags: Use them to wrap breakables, just like you would with newspaper.
- Trash Bags: Instead of using boxes, use trash bags to pack pillows, bedding, sheets, soft toys, and any extra towels that were not used for packing!
3. Don’t Waste Space Anywhere
- Boxes: Throw a pillow in the top or bottom of a box. This is good for a little extra padding too.
- Oven Mitts: Use these to wrap knives, scissors, and other sharp kitchen gadgets.
- Baskets and Trashcans: These are great for picture frames.
- Crock Pot: Possibly spices or small tupperware.
- Large Tupperware: Small pantry items, like seasoning packets or sprinkles.