I’m super thankful for a normal-ish Halloween 2021! Last year, our neighbors rallied and we made the best of Halloween 2020 for our kids, but this year was back to business as regular and we loved every second of the insanity. As for DIY costumes, I didn’t do so well. Andy and I went to a Studio 54 inspired Halloween shindig and threw together 70’s inspired costumes from our costume boxes. We had all of this on hand, ha! That curly wig been worn many times, but remember the DIY costume the wig was bought for?
As for the kids, Max is really into Star Wars right now mostly because of Star Wars LEGO ships and not because we watch them regularly. Honestly, I’ve never even seen a Star Wars movie! Mila is into whatever Max is into, so after hearing Max wanted to be Darth Vader, she choose R2D2, her favorite LEGO character. I borrowed a Rey costume from a friend and we almost had a family costume! For the record, these are 100% store bought costumes and we forgot our light sabers at home. Oops.
I keep hoping the kids are going to ask me to make something awesome like DIY flower costumes or a golden super hammer, but they keep picking costumes that are $20 at the store and I can’t resit, ha! Here’s a look back at a decade of Dorobek costume mayhem.
10 Years of Dorobek Halloween Costumes
- 2020: Easter Bunny and skeleton
- 2019: Policeman and unicorn
- 2018: Filter/ No Filter costume
- 2017: Double stuffed Oreos couples costume
- 2017: Diaper box train costume
- 2016: Anthony Weiner text scandal (Political themed Halloween party)
- 2016: Tractor out of a diaper box (Maxwell’s fall fest)
- 2016: YMCA Family costume
- 2015: Waldo Family of 4: (Pregnant family costume)
- 2014: Crown and Coke couples costume (Couples costume)
- 2013: Bob Ross, Happy Tree, & Squirrel family costume (Pregnant couples costume)
- 2012: 70’s chick and 70 year old man
- 2011: Andy moved to Florida and I went to Marfa, TX with my friend, Rachelle.
- 2010: Fred and Wilma Flintstone (Couples costume)
DIY Hallowen Costumes 2021
I love sharing my creative friends DIY costumes every year! Here are a few of my favorite DIY costumes from Halloween 2021.
Baby Troll Doll Costume
My bestie, Annie, dressed her youngest up as a troll doll and I’m obsessed with this baby troll! Best part? All you need is a tan colored onesie and tights. Add rhinestones to the tights and one extra large rhinestone to the bellybutton. Then, use pink hair dye and gel to form the hair into a cone. So cute! Oh and did you know the original troll doll was created in 1959 by a Danish fisherman?
DIY Wizard of Costumes
Meredith did it again with a combination of store bought and DIY Wizard of Oz costumes for her cute crew. I love the addition of the cardboard yellow brick road costume! (See her DIY Grinch costumes from 2019 here.)
We spied this amazing baby hatching in an egg costume as we were wrapping up trick or treating. And yes, that is a real life baby in a DIY paper mache egg! I was so impressed with the costume and that sweet, calm baby!
I did make this DIY cookie costume for a cookie giveaway on Instagram this year. Neither of my kids wanted to be cookies, so I gave it to a neighbor to wear on Halloween!
If you want to see more DIY costume genius from my creative friends, check out these posts from Halloween’s past: